Profile Page

Wes and Iris Anderson

Kansas City, Missouri

The Downtown Kansas City Church of Christ has ministered to the inner-city poor since 1966. The church has 35 families, and its Sunday morning attendance runs about 50-55.

Because the average family income is $31,000, contributions from members provide only 65% of the church’s financial needs. The remaining 35% comes from other congregations.

Since 1998, the church has offered “Food for Life” to the community every 2nd and 4th Saturday. On those days, people come to take part in Bible study and receive free groceries and clothing.

Sixty percent of the people who live in the area are Hispanic, so the church is working to start an outreach to its Spanish-speaking neighbors.